Saturday, March 28, 2009

De incubus non est disputandumor Dream a Little Dream of Me

collage drawing by marguerita

Sleep should not be thought of casually: it is mysterious, powerful, central, inextricably linked to the world.

In sleepe, wee have the naked and naturall thoughts of our soules.”

Politics, too, is implicated.

One of the earliest mentions of an incubus comes from Mesopotamia on the Sumerian kings' list, ca. 2400, where the hero Gilgamesh's father is listed as Lilu (Lila).[7] It is said that Lilu disturbs and seduces women in their sleep, while Lilitu, a female demon, appears to men in their erotic dreams.[8] Two other corresponding demons appear as well: Ardat lili, who visits men by night and begets ghostly children from them, and Irdu lili, who is known as a male counterpart to Ardat lili and visits women by night and begets from them. These demons were originally storm demons, but they eventually became regarded as night demons due to mistaken etymology.[9]

Incubi and succubi were said by some not to be different sexes, but the same demons able to change their sex.[10] A succubus would be able to sleep with a man and collect his sperm, and then transform into an incubus and use that seed on women. Their offspring were thought to be supernatural in many cases, even if the actual genetic material originally came from humans.[5]

WASHINGTON — In one of the displays at the Folger Shakespeare Library a 17th-century manuscript interrupts its historical chronicle of bloodthirsty battles, hewn carcasses and sundered heads with a recipe for “a dormant drink”: a knockout potion.
The simple code might have been used more to create an aura of esoteric revelation than for any real secrecy.
Exhibition Review - Folger Shakespeare Library - How England Caught Its Z’s, at Folger Shakespeare Library - NYTimes.com


DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME


(Kahn-Schwandt-Andre)

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singin' in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries far behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me






No comments: