Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pensamentos: Push Down and Turn,For Ez OPEN,TURN CAP OVER > OPEN CLOSE<

drawing / collage by marguerita

I SUDDENLY recognized SUBITO
and IMMEDIATELY STATIM became familiar.
AT THAT TIME TUM seemed hard
and I wrestled IN VAIN with FRUSTRA,
but I ALREADY knew IAM
and EVEN ETIAM;
and I SOON acquired MOX.
I NEVER recognize NUMQUAM
and FORMERLY I found QUONDAM difficult
while FOR A LONG TIME DIU puzzled me,
and I studied NEQUIQUAM TO NO PURPOSE,
but I have ALWAYS known SEMPER
and NOW I am sure of NUNC;
I can, THEREFORE, conquer IGITUR.
I am NOT YET familiar with NONDUM;
I know TAMEN, HOWEVER;
MOREOVER AUTEM is an old friend,
while TAM is SO simple
THAT UT will be easy.
I hope to learn SIMUL at THE SAME TIME
FOR I do know NAM
and have OFTEN met SAEPE.
THUS I was learning SIC
and had SCARCELY made sure of VIX,
when ONCE UPON A TIME I found I knew OLIM;
THEN I learned INDE,
THEN DEINDE,
and FINALLY I shall master DENIQUE.
MEANWHILE I am struggling with INTEREA,
and AS SOON AS I learn SIMUL ATQUE
I shall AT LENGTH know TANDEM,
and PERHAPS FORSITAN.
AFTERWARDS I mean to learn POSTEA,
and when I have met ITERUM a SECOND TIME
I hope to know QUOQUE ALSO.

Vox liquida, o, cur nam tales tristissimus audis?If my character is flawed by a few minor faults, but is otherwise decent and moral, if you can point out only a few scattered blemishes on an otherwise immaculate surface, if no one can accuse me of greed, or of prurience, or of profligacy, if I live a virtuous life, free of defilement (pardon, for a moment, my self-praise), and if I am to my friends a good friend, my father deserves all the credit... As it is now, he deserves from me unstinting gratitude and praise. I could never be ashamed of such a father, nor do I feel any need, as many people do, to apologize for being a freedman's son. Satires 1.6.65–92

Beatus ille

"Happy is the man"— the opening words of Horace's second Epode, in which a usurer praises the charms of country life, its freedom from worry and its simplicity, but soon finds his love of money overpowering his sentiment. 'Haec ubi', etc.,

"So spake the money-lender Alphius; he was all but adopting a country life; he got in all his money at the middle of the month, but when the first comes round he wants to put it out again."
Horace- Quintus Horatius Flaccus ( Venusia;December 8,65 BC- Rome,November 27.BC)

No comments: